Snow Joe iON18SB-HYB Hybrid Single Stage Snow Blower | 18-Inch · 40 Volt · 13.5 Amp | BrushlessiON18SB-HYB
- Ideal for quick snow pickups on mid-sized driveways and walkways
- Hybrid Technology: choose from included 40 V 4.0 Ah EcoSharp® rechargeable lithium-ion battery or corded 13.5-amp electric power
- Powerful 13.5-amp motor moves up to 500 lbs of snow per minute
- Steel auger with 2 rubber blades cuts a path 18 in. wide by 8 in. deep without damaging surface
- 8 in. all-terrain wheels for maximum maneuverability
- 180° adjustable chute throws snow up to 20 ft
- 3 W LED headlights provides increased visibility for nighttime snow removal
- ETL approved; Full 2-year warranty; Includes battery and Energy Star certified charger
+ How long does the battery for my Snow Joe iON18SB-HYB Snow Blower take to charge?
Your Snow Joe iON18SB-HYB Snow Blower comes with a 40-volt EcoSharp® lithium-ion battery charger (Model# iCHRG40) that completely charges your battery in up to 2 hours. If you need to use your snow blower sooner, simply plug the unit in for instant power as far as the cord will go!
+ How does a brushless motor compare to a traditional motor with brushes?
The iON18SB-HYB is equipped with a 500 W brushless motor. Without going into an engineering lesson, brushless motors are smarter, more powerful and more efficient than their old school brushed cousins. So when comparing cordless devices, you can’t just compare voltage. A lower voltage brushless motor is far better than a higher voltage, old school brushed motor. So a new cordless unit with a brushless motor will mean that it can perform better and last longer on a charge than a comparable unit with a traditional cordless motor.
+ How long will the battery in my Snow Joe iON18SB-HYB Snow Blower run for?
Your Snow Joe iON18SB-HYB Snow Blower comes with a 40-volt 4.0 Ah lithium-ion battery (Model# iBAT40) that delivers up to 50 minutes of whisper-quiet run time. And, if your battery dies in a jam, simply plug the unit in for limitless power as far as the cord will take you!
+ What is the best measurement of a lithium-ion battery pack’s performance? How does the Snow Joe + Sun Joe EcoSharp 40 V 4.0 Ah lithium-ion battery pack (model iBAT40) compare to other lithium-ion battery packs in the market?
Without getting too technical, the best measure of a lithium-ion battery pack’s performance is its energy capacity, which is measured in watt-hours. To find the watt-hours of a battery pack, multiple the voltage by the amp-hours. For example, the Snow Joe iON18SB-HYB 40 V 4.0 Ah 18-inch hybrid cordless + electric snow blower runs cordlessly on a lithium-ion battery that delivers a 160 watt-hour energy capacity (40 V x 4.0 Ah). In comparison, competitor models of cordless tools that also employ a 40 V lithium-ion battery may only be telling you half the story. They cleverly disguise a seemingly “more powerful” battery pack by tacking on a large voltage rating without disclosing the amp-hour rating information, which has been found in some cases to be, at best, only 2.6 amp-hours. A battery with the same voltage rating, but a lower amp-hour rating will have a lower energy capacity, which will significantly impact your cordless tool’s performance. Comparing the Snow Joe + Sun Joe EcoSharp 40 V 4.0 Ah lithium-ion battery pack to the 40 V 2.6 Ah competitor lithium-ion battery pack, the EcoSharp battery provides about a 1.6 fold increase in energy capacity (160 watt-hours versus 104 watt-hours). So, when comparing battery packs, it’s not only voltage that matters in terms of cordless tool performance. Know your battery’s amp-hour and watt-hour rating to get a true assessment of what your battery can really do.
+ Can the EcoSharp 40 V 4.0 Ah battery pack (model iBAT40) and the EcoSharp PRO 40 V 5.0 Ah battery pack (model iBAT40XR) be used interchangeably with all iON tools?
Yes, both the EcoSharp 40 V 4.0 Ah battery pack (model iBAT40) and the EcoSharp PRO 40 V 5.0 Ah battery pack (model iBAT40XR) can be used with all iON and iON PRO series tools, cordless and hybrid. Both batteries also utilize the same 40 V EcoSharp charger (model iCHRG40).
+ How do you charge the battery?
Your iON18SB-HYB comes with an included iCHRG40 40 V EcoSharp® Lithium-Ion Charger, designed to quickly and efficiently charge your EcoSharp® Lithium-Ion Battery in up to 2 hours. If you need to use your snow blower sooner, simply plug the unit in for instant power as far as the cord will take you!
+ How to achieve greater throw distance? / My iON18SB-HYB is not throwing the snow very far.
Your iON18SB-HYB Snow Blower is capable of throwing snow up to 20 feet!
To achieve the greatest possible throw distance, here are few quick tips to follow:
- Always throw as much snow as possible. Your iON performs best with 4" to 10" of snowfall.
- If throwing less than 4" of snow, push your iON faster to feed the most snow into the intake as possible.
- Keep the discharge chute as straight forward and centered as possible. This allows for the easiest route for snow to launch through the chute, meaning the snow will fly farther and with more velocity.
- If throwing snow to the side, only turn the discharge chute as much as necessary to launch the snow out of your path of travel. Keeping the discharge chute as forward as possible creates less resistance for the snow to fly, resulting in greater throw distances.
- Keep the discharge chute deflector angled up and as high as possible. This ensures the path of least resistance for the snow to fly.
- Fresh snow will always fly farther than old snow. The older the snow, the more likely it is to become wet, icy, or compacted, making it harder to throw long distances.
+ How do I assemble my iON18SB-HYB Hybrid Snow Blower?
Putting together your iON18SB-HYB hybrid snow blower is simple! It assembles the same way as our regular iON18SB cordless snow blower.
To watch us open the box and assemble the iON Snow Blower, click here:
+ I've pressed the switch button, then squeezed the handle, but my Snow Joe iON18SB-HYB does not power on. What should I do?
As an added safety feature, the machine will only power on while pressing and holding the safety switch button first, and then squeezing the switch bar lever. Please note, your hybrid snow blower has two safety switch buttons that control whether the unit starts by battery or electric power.
- To start the unit in battery mode, make sure the unit is unplugged and the battery is inserted. Use your finger on one hand to press the switch button on the inside of the handle (marked DC), then use your other hand to squeeze the lever.
- To start the unit in electric mode, make sure the battery is removed and the unit is plugged in. Use your finger on one hand to press the switch button on the outside of the handle (marked AC), then use your other hand to squeeze the lever.
Once your machine starts, you may then release your finger on the safety switch button, and grip the bar lever with both hands to maintain operation. If you wish to power off, just release your grip on the bar lever.
+ What is the purpose of the cord lock restraint hook?
Your unit comes with an on-board cord lock restraint hook that provides a secure method of connecting an extension cord to your unit. The major function of the cord lock is to prevent drag on the cord from disconnecting the extension cord from the unit. Please be advised that the use of any electric power equipment without utilizing the cord lock is not safe; this could allow the extension cord to loosen and detach enough to cause a short circuit, irreversibly damaging the unit, the extension cord, the breaker box, your person, or all of the above.